The fort was constructed on a hill which was once the territory of the Kakatiya kings of Warangal in 1143 A.D.
During the time of Raja Pratap Dev, a shepherd suggested him the desirability of constructing a fort on the hill.
The raja welcomed the idea and constructed a ‘Kucha’ bulwark calling it ‘Golconda Golla’ meaning shepherd hill.
Seven kings of Qutub Shahi dynasty ruled the Golconda from 1518 A.D. to 1687 A.D. of the 7 first 3 constructed the Golconda fort in a period of 62 years from 1518 to 1580.
They constructed palace and other pucca buildings. The forth king Mohammed Quli Qutub shah laid a city Bhag Nagar after the name of his beloved Bhagmati. It is now called as Hyderabad.
The circumference of Golcanda fort is about 5 miles in diameter. The fort contains 9 doors, 52 windows and 48 tunnels.
The nine gates are fathe darwaza, moti darwaza, darwaza of the new fort, jamali darwaza, banjari darwaza double, patancheru darwaza, makkai darwaza double, bodli darwaza and bahmani darwaza.
The The places to see in Golconda fort are curtain wall, gate bala hisar, the pouring, vibration, taramati palace, the bath of Quli Qutub Shah, Nagina garden, body guard line, darbar hall, badi bowli, steps to bala hisar, the jail of ramdas, storage of arms and ammunition, the mosque of Ibrahim Quli Qutub Shah, ellamma devi temple, dad mahal and baradari.
While the stories of the Qutub Shahi Dynasty are still heard from the walls of the Golconda Fort
The legacy is still continued in the Qutub Shahi Tombs.
NOTE: Don’t forget to visit the Qutub Shahi Tombs after visiting Golconda Fort which is around 4kms from the fort.